We are seeking our first Senior Data Engineer to produce scalable software solutions for our enterprise customers. You’ll be part of a cross-functional team and will be responsible for designing and implementing data pipelines that support our growing data needs.
Our ideal candidate will be proficient in the AWS suite of tools: S3, Athena, Glue, Redshift, Lambda, and EC2. You will be an expert in data ingestion, ETL processes, and pipeline building. We are looking for an engineer who has experience working cross-functionally between product, data science, and engineering, as you will be expected to work closely with these teams to ensure that our data is organized, integrated, and easily accessible.
You will be a force multiplier at the intersection of our software engineering and data science efforts. Our small team will rely on you to build infrastructure that makes it easy to train, test, and access models. You will be responsible for reliable data pipelines that feed directly into our production environment with automatic updates following ingestion of new data.
To be successful in this role, you should have a strong background in data engineering and experience working with startups. You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and be able to juggle multiple priorities.
Who We Are:
Most companies are flying blind when it comes to their most valuable asset: their human capital. Our team has spent the past 30+ years at top universities pioneering methods to help shift workforce decisions into quantitative and science-driven decisions. We are now making these approaches available to business decision makers via our Workhelix platform. We aim to help millions live more productive and fulfilling lives all while helping companies keep their workforces aligned with constantly changing needs. We are fortunate to have some of the biggest names in AI and Economics actively involved and behind this important mission, including Andrew Ng, Andy McAfee, and Erik Brynjolfsson.
The culture at Workhelix is based on four norms. The first is science: making decisions based on evidence and debate rather than judgment and experience. Second is
ownership: combining high autonomy with tight alignment to avoid bureaucracy and sclerosis. Third, speed: iterating and getting feedback as rapidly as possible instead of planning well in advance. And finally, openness: being open to feedback and criticism, and creating an environment of egalitarianism and psychological safety.
More About Workhelix:
Workhelix is an early-stage, sub-10 person company devoted to helping customers painlessly manage their workforce needs. We are a team of academics and entrepreneurs devoted to bringing to market our state-of-the-art research on the future of work. We have more than 60 years of experience in understanding how tech progress and other tectonic forces are changing jobs, skills, and business models. Workhelix is bringing our insights to market via software, APIs, and other offerings that will deliver value to our customers. We just raised our initial funding from AI Fund and are looking to grow a world-class engineering team.
This is a full-time remote position open to the US and North American time zones.
What You Will Be Doing
● Building efficient and scalable ETL processes and creating DAGs
● Creating and automating our data ingestion and table generating pipelines
● Collaborating with data scientists to produce feature and prediction data stores
● Generating infrastructure to track and store data lineages and metadata
● Architecting data systems that will achieve current and near-term product and
research goals with robustness for scale
● Define and champion data engineering standards and processes with input from
● Stay up-to-date on the latest technologies and pick the right tool for the task
● Discuss product needs with customers and help the team support successful
outcomes for customers
● Write data integration tests to ensure data ingestion systems are performant and
● Implement and create security and data protection best practices settings
What You Must Bring
● Proven experience as a Senior Data Engineer
● Self-starter and comfortable working in an early-stage environment
● Proficiency in SQL, Python, and Spark
● Familiarity with databases (e.g. RDS, PostGreSQL), web servers (e.g. Apache), and deployment systems (e.g. AWS, Kubernetes)
● Experience with Airflow, dbt, or other pipeline tools
● Excellent communication skills and the ability to have in-depth technical
discussions with both the engineering team and business team
● Technical foresight, anticipating the needs of our emerging tech stack
● Knowledge on how to build for scale vs. building for now
Nice to Haves
● BSc in Computer Science, Mathematics or similar field; Master’s or PhD degree is a plus; or equivalent experience
● Understanding of big data tools, including Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
● Experience with enterprise applications and data handling
● Familiarity with data privacy regulations and best practices
● Strong project management and organizational skills
What You’ll Get
● Competitive compensation and benefits
● Experience learning from and collaborating directly with some of the most
renowned researchers in the digital economy space
● An opportunity to build a sustainable company, culture, and products from the
ground up with teammates who care deeply about healthy working practices
● Flexibility to work fully remote, with offsites on a quarterly basis to gather with the
● The ability to work in an environment of high trust, agency, and autonomy
At Workhelix, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Workhelix believes that diversity and inclusion among our employees is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Selection for employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need..
Contact James@workhelix.com if you are interested.